Sunday, January 27, 2008

IT'S WINTER AND I'M NAKED-FACED





IT’S COLD, BUT NOT THAT COLD

In winter
white blankets comfort
hot coffee brings me new life
porridge is my morning friend
so faithful

And though sheets of
ice
sneak up under my feet
and take me down
crashing
I know that I can
be naked faced
and found
with friends

We muck about in
the snow
and breathe deep
sometimes
forget our worries
standing on a mountain
together
In wonder

3 comments:

Bobbi said...

No serious metaphor in this poem. I took a nasty fall on the way to work this morning and royally bruised my little ass. What a pain . . . in my ass. True inspiration, I guess.

Kasha said...

WINTER

Oh the great Canadian Winter
Is not so very cold.
I once knew a kid who didn't freeze
Until he was ten years old.

And just last year in Ottawa,
When they cleared away the ice,
They found two people still alive
And they said Winter was nice.

On Baffin Island the Inuit
Go swimming with polar bears.
Of course they always come back dead.
That's why they go in pairs.

So don't stay inside when it's snowing,
Don't stay inside when there's ice.
Go out and get frozen like a brick,
And then you'll think Winter is nice.
--- Robert Munsch

Anonymous said...

bobbi, know that i'm not ignoring you even though it seems like i am and feel like i want to do that with every single person i know. i currently have no life, experiencing mood swings, and school is like this huge blanket suffocating me and kidnapping me to god knows where so that i continue to have no life. but do know, that i do think of you, read your blogs, and i did phone you but there was no answer and your text made me smile and made me go huh, i'm glad someone actually does care that i'm alive.

Blog Archive

It's Nice in Here

It's Nice in Here