Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Camp Rant

I don't rant a lot. I'm quite amiable and the things that piss me off pass pretty fast. But this weekend my morality was compromised: I had to eat camp food.

I want to know what in God's name so many Christian camps are doing serving children, as they retreat out of the city into beautiful alcoves of God's good creation, such shit.

This weekend I watched a camp serve eager kids and loving leaders fake eggs, apple crisp made of close-to-fake apples, fake whip cream, processed meats, Eggocrapo waffles, toxic juice, etc.

My hopeful heart had a vision of year-round staff tending the land, raising the chickens, getting their hands dirty and lovingly preparing food to set before their guests. I pray for a camp food revival. I pray that camp leaders will start reading godly books like The 100 Mile Diet and Animal, Vegetable, Miracle. I pray that they will engage in the rich monastic tradition of our faith and embrace their gifted place in creation: to be places of worship, teaching, hospitality, retreat, and good food passed around a banqueting table.

2 comments:

Jackie Bolen said...

Long time, no talk my old friend! I hope life is cool for you these days? it's pretty cool for me...I'm still out running and hiking and hanging out with friends.

Anyway, I totally agree with the food thing. I'm also pretty disturbed by the whole thing...but don't be totally disheartened, I have encountered a couple places that had their stuff together!

jennifer said...

I remember coming home from camps as a child and guzzling milk the minute I got in the door, after days of powdered peach juice and fruit punch. It really is too bad; they have such a wonderful opportunity! We should sic Jamie Oliver on them.

Blog Archive

It's Nice in Here

It's Nice in Here