Sunday, December 17, 2006

If it weren’t for cigarettes I think I'd be a smoker



A few years ago my friend was visiting from out of town. At some point in our conversation she told me why she started smoking in university. She explained that she needed to escape the snooty students in her program and she found real camaraderie in the smoker circle.

I wish churches had smoker circles. I think I'd hang out there.

Smokers: I watched them one day a few weeks back. I was traveling on a four stop red eye flight to Cincinnati. As I waited for one of my flights I watched as smokers gathered in the designated smoking rooms. I sat alone in the clean air waiting for my flight to board. The smoker filed into the brownish fog, sat down, lit up, took the first drag and soon after started into conversation with a smoker stranger.

I'm craving some smoker community. The kind where I can sit down, not be so concerned about how together I am (or am not), and where just as simply as breathing I invite others to do the same.

2 comments:

frewdaddy said...

sick. sick and wrong. you should be fired from your job. i can't believe you smoke. smokers are sinners. didn't you learn anything from holyland? and sinners are destroying our culture...our safe, safe culture.

how long have you been smoking? how do you keep your teeth so white? i've not smoked a day in my life and my teeth are like bananas. you don't smell like cigarettes.

i wrote a letter to the cbc. that video was amazing. i forwarded it to like a hundred people.

The Krahnicles said...

Hey Bobbi - did you ever check out "Thank You for Smoking"? Is that driving this sentiment? Just wondering.

Shawn

Blog Archive

It's Nice in Here

It's Nice in Here