
Sometimes you really don't know what the outcome will be. This is especially true in youth ministry.
I'm a planner. I like to make plans. I like to imagine my plans playing out and sit back later and reflect, "Indeed, those were fine plans."
The students I work with remind me that no matter how I envision an experience, it's likely, in actuality, to be absolutely nothing like what I imagined.
Tonight at youth I gave the FUSE groups (small groups) chunks of the Luke 1-2 passage from The Message to creatively communicate to the rest of the group. Off they went to be creative and strengthen the bonds of relational ministry. They seemed excited; I anticipated success.
The first group up was one of the guys' groups. They began with some strange drug reference (Where the heck did they get that???? Not to mention that they are in GRADE 7!). Next came the oranges. One of the fellas put two Mandarin oranges up to his scrawny frame. He was playing the part of Elizabeth (Zechariah's wife and mother of John the Baptist) and those fine oranges became boobs.
Wait! Those were not my plans! Though, I had to give the buddy some credit for keeping it real and being true to the not-so-G-rated way of the Bible. And still, there's more.
One of the students yelled out from the audience, "Hey, those are too low!"
Mr. Oranges-for-boobs declared, "No they're not. I'm old."
1 comment:
Hey Bobbi! Just found your blog! Yay!
Thoroughly enjoyed reading this account of a night in the life of your ministry! What a great story! Just and had to read it aloud to Andy so he could enjoy it as well! No boring moments when working with 7th graders! No matter how "good" your plans! :P
Look forward to seeing you at our rockin' staff par-tay!
Post a Comment