Berlin has captured me. It's a city with a complicated story, rich in history, coloured in varying shades of grey. It's a city you can't box up and neatly enjoy or understand. It's a city rebuilt and rebuilding. I love the the invitations it extends to have a beer in the street, to sit on a piece of grass by the canal and enjoy your people, to get on a bike (any old bike) and to ride it (slow or fast, with or without a helmet [likely without!!]), to have a cappuccino at a cafe . . .
My lovely friend Jess gave me a book for this trip: A Restless Soul. It's a collection of Henri Nouwen's travel writings. Nouwen wrote these words after his time in Berlin:
It was history coming alive. I deeply feel my own responsibility. It does make a difference how I live my life. It does make a difference where I go, with whom I speak, and what I write. Yes, my life is very short and seems so insignificant in the context of our immense universe. But seeing what I saw today and hearing what I heard today, I experience a great desire to live with as much integrity, as much clarity, and as much courage as I can.Thanks Henri. Thanks Berlin.
1 comment:
I was getting an Americano before work one day this week. As I was pre-caffine, I had zoned out a wee bit while waiting for my drink to come up. All of a sudden, I was jolted by this deep Germanic voice from the silent barista bellowing - "Americano" (now you have to say that word out loud in the most Germanic way you can to appreciate the full effect).
I (almost) laughed out loud and realized at that moment that I missed my friend Bobbi - one of the new Berliners!
Thanks Henri, indeed. Enjoy the rest of your travels.
Post a Comment