Sunday, June 01, 2008

Trip Trickle:::THE GRAND FINALE


REWIND AND RETROSPECT


This trip for my 30th birthday came at an interesting time in my life.

Earlier in the year I had a dream to travel: I wanted to go somewhere with someone. That was it. I seized an occasion to go with a friend (the lovely Sara) while her sister was living in Berlin (the lovely Wendy). We sketched out an itinerary, booked our flights, and then hardly planned a thing.

Just weeks before leaving some massive change landed in my life. I was stuck in some tensions at my church and after much consideration, decided to bow out of the ministry there. Though some people could see the hope that might come after this tough spell, I was, and still feel, quite caught up in the sadness.

These were the bombs and flares exploding as I was about to walk onto a plane and walk off into a European adventure.

“Good timing,” some would say.

“Good timing?” I wondered.

I’m still thinking about that.

I do know that I loved leaving. I loved disappearing. I loved being with my friend Sara. I loved meeting new friends. I loved hanging out with Wendy. I loved eating! I loved drinking. I loved looking. I loved gathering up stories. I loved strapping dorky headsets on at museums to learn everything. I loved how a place or some writing on the wall got under my skin. I loved tree lines and people on their bikes.

I got tired of the heavy narrative I was lugging around with me. I got tired of my broken body with it’s definite limits. I got tired of bringing the wrong luggage. But I don’t think I stayed tired. I think my imagination was refreshed. Who knows where that might lead?


Welcome to Berlin.


Water closet, Berlin.


My shoes in Wendy's window.


Quite an ass, Potsdam.


The Memorial for Murdered European Jews, Berlin.
Early one morning.


Charles Bridge, Prague.


Sara and I, Prague Castle.


Banksy, London.
Leaving our mark.

4 comments:

Kasha said...

Thanks for sharing some of your trip with us!

Unknown said...

bobbi,
that was a well written ending to your european adventure! Curious about more of your thoughts re: "good timing?"

and i dig all your pics, they have life. I enjoy that ;)

Louanne said...

The Wanderer

The will of God
has been known, but
so gradually, and
in terms so usual
usually,that the person at the wheel
humming along, preoccupied, had
somehow strayed. She faces
a dead end. Summons force
of her own will; she
thinks, backing into a lane
she turns,finding the right fork
this time,and goes on pleased that her
judgment redirecting her in time
is confirmed as reliable.

More than reliability was
at issue though. She didn't know she
was under scrutiny?
being let stray, to work it out?

She spins along. No one
she happily realizes is aware
of where she is or when to expect her back.
The freedom of the road as she
discovers at the
dead end
calls for a clearer
sense of direction, closer attention.

That will turn out to be
preoccupation; another
opportunity.

- adapted from Margaret Avison

Jen said...

loved reading about your trip. thanks for sharing.

Blog Archive

It's Nice in Here

It's Nice in Here