Monday, December 04, 2006

I liked this movie



I saw the new Pedro Almodóvar film staring Penelope Cruz this weekend - Volver - and I, unlike my fellow moviegoer, truly enjoyed it. Half way through the film my friend leaned over and said way too loudly, "This is weird." I said, "Learn how to whisper." I then went back to wrapping myself up in the world of this fine foreign film.

I enjoyed this film for its dark comedy, rich relationships, family dynamics, mystery, and colourful landscape. I absorbed themes of loyalty, love, revenge, secrets, death, and community. The film focuses on women who are connected in family and the people who are connected to them in the peripheral spaces.

I read this fine review at Salon.com

It's not a film for everyone, but then again maybe it should be.

1 comment:

Kasha said...

I thought about going to see this movie after you told me about it, however, it is not playing in Edmonton. I will keep checking to see if it comes to my city.

Blog Archive

It's Nice in Here

It's Nice in Here